Monday, October 5, 2009

Forever


He has, unwittingly, chronicled my life. I was introduced to "Saturate Before Using" by Larry Dean, in 1972. Then came "Late for the Sky", echoing my own damaged love life. I saw him twice in concert in San Diego before my internment in Indiana. I boycotted the "Running on Empty" stadium concert in Chicago - I need a more intimate venue to commune with my balladeer. I was one of the few who purchased "Hold Out", needing his comfort during my time in Hoosier Town. And who will forget listening to "Somebody's Baby" holding Todd on my lap, cruising around in Dave Peeler's truck? We reunited in 1993 at The Warfield in San Francisco - my best seat ever, 5th row center. He messed up the intro to "Sky Blue & Black" - so endearing. I pretended to mourn with him, but secretly I rejoiced "ding, dong - the witch is dead." I never thought 37 years ago, this guy would be my own private Frank Sinatra. But, what can I say? Forever ...